Duterte laments attack on Manchester concert venue | SunStar

Duterte laments attack on Manchester concert venue

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte laments attack on Manchester concert venue

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte extended his sympathies and concern to the families of the victims who died and sustained injuries in an explosion during the concert of Ariana Grande at Manchester Arena in England.

"Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte R. Duterte sends his deepest sympathies and concern to the families of the dead and wounded in Manchester incident," Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement.

At least 22 concert-goers, including children, were reportedly killed when a suspected suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device at the end of the Grande's concert late Monday.

The attack was the deadliest in Britain since the July 2005 assault on London transport that killed 52 people and injured 700 others.

Abella said Duterte lauded the authorities for "excellent" handling of the situation.

"[Duterte also expressed] appreciation for the excellent handling by police security forces," Abella said. "We are in solidarity with the United Kingdom in addressing and combating violent extremism."

On her Twitter account, Grande said she was "broken" and apologized over the Britain's deadliest terror attack in 12 years.

"Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words," she said.

In Manila, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said they have not monitored any significant threats to the upcoming concerts of international artists in the country.

"Wala tayong nakikitang threat. Kung may ganoong incident outside the country we look at this kung may implication locally and we let the public know kung may any information through our intelligence community," said PNP spokesperson Dionardo Carlos.

The Manila leg of Grande's concert is scheduled on August 21.

Carlos said organizers of the said concert should coordinate with the PNP as early as now for proper security arrangements.

"Go lang, yes. Sa maraming pagkakataon naghandle na tayo ng international concerts and events, we already have a template sa mga ganitong sitwasyon. Iyong ating local office, regional office kung kakailanganin they can be reinforced by national support unit," he said.

"Ang importante dito, for the organizer to immediately coordinate as early as now with the local police so we can check the site, we can help in the security, we can give recommendation, secure the event for the organizer. Hindi yung last minute saka sila magsasabi," he added.

Before Grande's concert in August, pop star Britney Spears will hold a concert in the country on June 15. (With Third Anne Peralta-Malonzo/SunStar Philippines)


View Comments